Tuesday 1 May 2012

1st May 2012 Warrington Anglers Association Guardian Notes

1st May 2012 Warrington Anglers Association Guardian Notes.

 

Following a post on our members' forum where there was concern expressed regarding the weedy conditions at our Mount Fishery in Buckley I decided as I had never fished the water to give it a try and see conditions for myself. So late on Saturday afternoon armed with some three week old red maggots, a few micro-pellets, and groundbait I settled on a swim and set up a light feeder rod.

After half a dozen casts putting bait in my swim I attached a hook and three red maggots just as I was joined by our local bailiff. As if to order my tip arched round in a positive bite and I was into a decent sized fish that I promptly lost at the net. Undeterred I soon struck into a better fish that was a low double carp, followed by a cracking roach around the pound mark. During the session I had some quality roach, tench to 3lbs, perch to over 1.5lbs plus three more smaller carp.

Just for the record there were seven other anglers fishing who were with one exception enjoying good sport. Dan Lea and Reece Ellis reported having six carp to 14lbs and plenty of quality roach whilst another had fourteen carp. There is no current weed problem, and I will definitely be paying this feature packed fishery another visit.

 

I really thought I had caught a poacher last week when I saw an angler using a cheap rod and reel kit on the Bridgewater Canal at Houghs Bridge. I was at his side in a split second only to discover one of our members who I knew having a bit bashing session with his youngster's rod. My disappointment soon vanished after he told me he had a recent session on Appleton Reservoir and caught two carp around 8lbs. Well it's a start!

 

Ackers Pit is really switched on at present with one member reporting catching lots of quality roach, rudd, and crucians on waggler and maggot. Carp and tench are also featuring in catches although one member reported a couple of mirror carp with a few lesions around the tail area which could be down to a number of reasons following on from the winter freeze-up. More reports please.

 

The Cheshire Angling Development Group Spring League was held on the Bridgewater Canal  at Preston Brook on Sunday in atrocious weather conditions and saw us as the home team take a drubbing. Lucas Bratt from Northwich AA won the match with 1-12-0 followed by Tom Heron from PAAS with 1-3-0. Prince Albert AS headed the team points with 14, followed by Northwich on 16, Warrington 20, Bay Malton 24, and Penketh & Old Hall 26.

 

On Monday the Sid Jones Open was fished on the Bridgewater Canal between Thomason's and Acton Grange Bridges. The results saw a dramatic drop in weights from the previous week and winner John Sharp needed only 2-1-4 to put his name on the Sid Jones Cup. It was so bad that only nine anglers put fish on the scales! I really do not know why this length nowadays fishes consistently poor as it look idyllic with plenty of offside bank cover.

 

Don't forget let me have any catch reports either by phone Tel 01928 716238 or email frank@warrington-anglers.org.uk. HQ 52, Parker Street is now open as usual between 7 & 9pm every Friday, for subscriptions, new memberships/night permits, or any queries.

 

Frank Lythgoe

COMING EVENTS

MONDAY:

Disabled & Over 60's Draw 10am Star Inn, Statham. Contact John Dagnall at Cheshire Angling 01925 635486

 

RESULTS

Sid Jones Open (Bridgewater Canal)

1)      John Sharp                2-1-4

2)      Barry Owen              1-13-4

3)      Alan Brown              1-8-12

4)      Pete Critchley              10-0